A few weeks ago I made my television debut on Vasili’s Garden to Kitchen show. Vasili owns a gardening centre in Coburg, the suburb where my studio is. He has kindly taken on some of my books in his store. As away to help me promote my book and get the book out to a wider audience, Vasili suggested I make an appearance on his show. Well I was both excited and apprehensive at the thought of being filmed. I hate the sound of my voice on a recording let alone how awkward I’m sure I would appear. However I decided if the world gives you an opportunity you have to accept and throw yourself into it. I mean whats the worst that could happen, I could just look like a fool, but hey does that really matter.
So about 3 weeks ago I went down to his gardening centre on a beautiful spring day and we shot my very first cooking demo. It was a lot of fun and the whole team put me at ease. Vasili walked me through the whole thing and just asked me some questions as I made a lemon slice, a recipe from my book. It aired on TV about 2 weeks ago, on Channel 31. I haven’t watched it and don’t intend to as me being me, I will pick myself to pieces. If ever asked to do another, I would probably chicken out. So I don’t really know how it went, other than what my sister told me. Maybe one day I will dig up the nerve to watch it but for now, I will just let it be. You guys can however find it here http://www.c31.org.au/schedule/view/episode/131079, thats the link my sister sent me after she watched it so if it doesn’t work for any reason, we will just blame kush 🙂
Quite a few people who went to the cake bake and sweet show the other week had seen it and come up and said hi, they said it was really good. So that made me feel a bit embarrassed but good at the same time.
After we finished filming I then got to sit down with Paul the editor of the magazine at Vasili’s and he asked me a few questions for an article. Talk about feeling like a bit of a celebrity, lol. The magazine will come out in early December so when it does I’ll let you all know. Well thats my 15mins of fame. Hope you all enjoy this next recipe, its a goodie.
Happy Baking xxx
- 2 cups plain biscuits or graham crackers
- 75g melted butter
- A bunch of rhubarb (about 6 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 blocks of cream cheese
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Place the biscuits into a food processor and pulse until they are crumbs. Melt the butter in the microwave and then pour into the food processor and pulse a couple more times. Press into the bottom of a round 25cm spring form tin until firm.
- Place the Rhubarb, sugar and water into a saucepan and heat on a medium temperature until the rhubarb softens. Set aside
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, whip cream cheese, sugar until blended then add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in sour cream and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over the base.
- Then place dollops of half of the rhubarb mixture onto the cheesecake and then swirl it with a knife.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until set.
- Once cooled top with the remaining rhubarb.