Happy Easter everyone, I hope you are all spending time with your family and loved ones. Or if you’re going it alone I hope you’re baking lots and eating it too 🙂 These hot cross buns are filled with my favourite ingredient of all time, yep, you guessed it – chocolate. It is after all easter, The time of the year when chocolate it totally allowed. Ask anyone and they will tell you I am right!!!
The smell of fresh bread is one of the best things about easter and if you buy Store bought hot cross buns, shame on you. You are totally missing out on one of the best smells in the world, mmmmm fresh bread. mmmmmmmm with chocolate. Whats a girl to do, I know – eat until she can eat no more.
Have a great time over the next few days and rest up. It will be over before you know it.
Happy Baking xxx
P.S I hope you are enjoying that pile of chocolate in the photo you sent me Mum and Dad!!!
- 4 cups plain flour
- 14g dried yeast
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 50g butter
- 300mls milk
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place the flour, yeast, sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate chips into a free standing mixer bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place the butter and the milk into a separate heat proof bowl and microwave until butter melts and milk is warm.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and using a dough hook on you mixer, combine and knead the ingredients together for 10 minutes.
- Remove the ingredients from the bowl and knead a couple of times with your hands, then place in a oiled bowl. Place in a warm environment and cover with cling wrap.
- Let the mixture double and then knock the dough back.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C
- Shape the dough into 9 rolls and place on a tray together.
- To make the cross, combine the water and flour together and place into a piping bag. Pip the mixture onto the buns.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30mins or until cooked