I’m going to let you in on a secret, of how to make soft, light and absolutely amazing scones. Drum roll please, ba dump dump chshshshshshshsh………….
Buttermilk, it truly makes the most amazing scones. Now if you don’t want to go out and buy buttermilk as it is a bit pricier than traditional milk, and really who wants the left overs sitting around waiting to go bad? Not me. Well just add a tablespoon of white vinegar to your milk, the milk will curdle and look totally disgusting, but you will have super amazing scones. One more piece of advice don’t over beat your mixture, or you will still end up with lumps of rock.
- 3 cups flour
- 100g butter
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Pre heat the oven to 200C
- Rub the flour and butter together until the mixture resembles bread crumbs, then stir through the sugar.
- In a separate bowl combine the milk and the vinegar, then pour into the flour mixture.
- Use a butter knife to cut into the mixture to incorporate. When the mixture is just combined pour onto a flour surface, and roll out using a rolling pin until about 2-3 cm thick.
- Cut with a cookie cutter and place onto a flour oven tray.
- Bake for 20 mins.